Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Great Job Hunt

I know it's been a while since I've blogged, but if you know me or have read my old posts, you know that I HATE my job. It actually started giving me panic attacks a few months ago. It's so horrible that I can't even put it into words. It's an extremely toxic environment. The fact that 50% of the employees are looking for new jobs really says something about the place. So needless to say, I've been looking for jobs for what seems like forever. A few months ago I decided that I was going to start seriously expanding my search to the Atlanta area and I've been applying and sending out resumes left and right.

In December, while I was off of work for Christmas break, I got my first nibble. My cousin has worked for a particular college for a several years now and she loves it. As a matter of fact, everyone that I've met through her that works for that company loves it and that's always a good sign. So drove up for the interview, even though I had just a few hours notice to prepare a power point presentation that I would have to give in front of the hiring panel AND the other people there interviewing for that same job! Weird, huh? Yeah, I thought so too. Well, not to toot my own horn, but I owned that interview. I totally rocked it out and I was so proud of myself. They said we'd hear back in two weeks or so, and those were the longest two weeks ever. I had already psyched myself up about moving to Atlanta, so I couldn't wait to hear if I had a chance. Well I got an email Monday letting me know that I had been selected to move to the next phase, which means that I had to take a test that was so hard and long that it rivaled the SATs and they started my background check.

Then Tuesday I found out about the tumor and the surgery. Buzz kill. Now all I can think about is how this stupid surgery may get in the way of me getting this job! If I were to get an offer this Friday, I'd have to ask them to hold the position for me for 6 weeks! I am trying to stay optimistic, but I realize that business is business and they may not be able to make that work. I will be so disappointed though. I'm hoping and praying that I can get my surgery bumped up though and that would only require me to ask that they wait 5 weeks. It's such a crazy thing to finagle. I'd have to stay at my current job long enough to use my sick time and then come back to work after the surgery in order to be considered an employee during that time. So I'd have to be out, then come back, then turn in my notice, then move to Atlanta. It's insanity and my mind is just whirling! To top it all off, I have to pack up my apartment as best I can before surgery, because I won't be able to do it after. I guess I'll know more once I hear about my surgery date and if I get the job offer. Until then, I'm just crossing my fingers that 2010 gets back on a good track for me, I need it!

2 comments:

Sole Matters said...

Have you thought about telling them (the new job people) that if they offer you the job, you will have to have a tumor removed? I typically don’t like being all in the open with my personal business (except in blog land) but maybe that will soften them a little if they offer it to you, to hold it?

Dandilion said...

Oh yeah, I'm definitly going to tell them what's up and hope that it makes them feel sorry for me or something or at least understand that it's something unavoidable. I just really hope it works!